Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Scrogg?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newbie_grower99 View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote newbie_grower99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scrogg?
    Posted: 09 August 2010 at 23:04

Hey people I have been looking at vids of the screen growing. And zip-ties ? I think thats what I saw wrapped on the stem. My question .... What exactly is scrogg or whatever and how is this accomplished , is it like topping or training ? Anyways I was just looking into it
Thanks %3cot%20smoki%3cg
4way72 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote 4way72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 01:09
SCROG refers to "screen of green." A growing technique when plants go through a very short or no vegetative cycle... Certain types of cannabis are better for SCROG than others.  The basic gist of SCROG is to lay a screen over the plants you are about to switch over that will allow the buds to penetrate upward toward the light while holding back the leaves.  The result should be nice fat tops only, very little side or lower branching.  It is a technique best suited for a smaller grow area. 
I hope this answers your question.

AkitaLover View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote AkitaLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 11:51
Also underneath the screen you could completley get rid of the lower branching is this part will not recieve any light due to the mass of bud above!!
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote newbie_grower99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 14:51
 Yeah I get know , thats sweet, so what kind of strains would be ideal for this, so its possible to just throw very young plants into 12 hrs with a 600 watt with no problems ?
Thanks ..
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 15:33
Had to come out of forum retirement when I read this thread.

The above info on SCROG is largely incorrect. A plant grown using the SCROG technique needs a significantly longer veg period than a plant that's allowed to grow straight upwards.

If you want to do SCROG correctly, you need a strong wire mesh screen with large openings - around the same size as chicken-wire. You need to veg the plant until the side branches are well developed. You can top the plant if you like to encourage more lateral branching.

The screen should be attached strongly to the sides of the growing area, around 15-30cms above the soil surface. As the branches of the plant grow through the mesh, you should bend them over and thread them through the holes in the mesh. This gives you a blanket of foliage that's all growing at the same level (ie - the level of the mesh). You can remove any foliage growing beneath the mesh to concentrate growth into the areas that are receiving strong light.

Once the grow space is around two-thirds to three-quarters full of foliage (it depends on the strain) you should switch the lights to 12/12. Continue threading the branches through the remainder of the mesh until they begin to grow flowers. Then just let the plant grow as normal.

If you do this correctly, you will get a dense canopy of buds all growing at the same level - and all growing from the same plant.
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote newbie_grower99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 13:49
 Ok thanks for the description, sounds intreasting. Im a lil old school, all this is new to me
. %3cpprove But definitly looks worth trying.
 Post Reply Post Reply