Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Shiva Skunk x ERSB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shiva Skunk x ERSB
    Posted: 10 August 2010 at 15:53
Good afternoon folks. I've been away from the forum for a long time, but thought I'd come back temporarily and post a pic of the most Indica-dominant plants I've ever grown in my life.

Basically, I had one seed left from a pack of ERSB and it turned out to be male, so I used it to pollinate my favourite Shiva Skunk female and have ended up with around 1,000 seeds to play with.

To be honest, I'm not very happy with the result. Around 90% of the plants grown from these seeds are so Indica-dominant that it's impractical to grow them indoors. The internode distances are so small that the plants resemble heads of cabbage. Big thick bushes of dense foliage that the light cannot penetrate.

In order to grow these plants to my satisfaction, I have to prune away around three-quarters of the lateral branches and tie down the main growing tip to get light to remaining lateral branches. As a result, it takes 7-8 weeks for the plants to reach 30cm in height.

Once flowering is initiated, these plants will only gain around 75% in height. (Personally, I prefer plants that stretch significantly after the switch to 12/12. This allows for more light penetration and better air circulation.)

The strange thing is, when grown from clone, these SSxERSB plants do actually stretch and gain height quicker than seed plants. Normally, the opposite is the case.

Anyway, here's a pic. Sorry for the lack of close-ups, plant photography is not one of my hobbies. This was taken after around 6 weeks of 12/12.

PS - ERSB and Shiva Skunk are both fantastic Sensi strains and I would highly recommend either one - especially ERSB.

heampaoolic View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote heampaoolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 22:55
Nice specimens you got there boss!
is on artificial light no?
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 01:18
Hello Farmer Mick, nice to meet you at last. I don't know how many times I have referred new growers to your basic grow set up thread... but it has been worth it's weight in gold, so thanks.

Nice looking plants there too, I'm quite fond of the squat, busy indicas.

All the best, sara.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 02:24
Heampaoolic - Grown under 250w HPS. The plant in the picture was grown from seed alongside two of her sisters. I tied down the main growing tip - so it might look like there's more than one plant there, but all those buds are growing from the same plant.

Sarah Louise - Cheers for the compliments. It's years since I wrote that thread, but I still get the occasional PM from forum users looking for additional advice.

The problem I have with these plants is the internode distance (around 10-15mm during veg stage, with two branches growing from each node).

In order to grow decent-sized plants, I have to let them veg until they're around 30cm. Because of the short internodes, this takes forever and the plants can have 20 or more lateral branches by the time they reach 30cm. All of these branches grow tight together, so most of them don't get enough light to develop nice buds.

Without major pruning, these plants will finish up as a big tangle of twigs and leaves, with decent buds only developing on the branch tips that have access to direct light.

With a tiny 250w set-up, you need to make efficient use of the light and these SSxERSB cabbages are the most inefficient plants I've ever tried to grow.

Personally, I much prefer plants that reach 30cm in half the time with just 6-8 lateral branches. The light can penetrate the entire plant and chunky buds will develop at all the nodes, not just the branch tips.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 02:36
This is a pic of the same plant just before the switch to 12/12. You can see how I've had to tie down the branches in an effort to open up the plant and improve the light penetration. This plant needed 50 days of veg to get to this stage...

I've thought about topping the plants to see if they grow in a more desirable fashion. However, even the lateral branches have extremely short internodes, so my gut feeling tells me that if I cut the main stem above the second node, I'll end up with four mini-cabbages instead of one big one. I also reckon topping would add another two weeks to the already interminable veg time.
heampaoolic View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote heampaoolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 08:20
cabbages!
i am feeling in love with your buds!
coxnox View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote coxnox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2010 at 00:08
very nice one, i wish i have place to do same kind of play... %3cool
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 02:51
The latest Shiva Skunk x ERSB cabbage. Trained and pruned to get five main colas.
Pictured after 50 days of 12/12. Only 40cm tall.

"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 23:36
Nice plant farmer mick%3chumbs%20Up.It looks real indica but some of the fingers on the leaves look fairly thin and sativa looking,is the stone indica?
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2010 at 04:50
That one was grown from seed alongside two of her sisters. Still drying so can't really rate the stone just yet. However, in terms of growth pattern, it was the most indica-dominant plant I've ever seen.

Flowered at 25cm (after 50 days of veg - 35 on windowsill, 15 under HPS), finished at 40cm (after 50 days 12/12). Five branches - solid bud from base to tip on each branch. Very resinous. I'm expecting around 40g dried bud.
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>