Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

jack herer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bengtal View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote bengtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 09:44
Hi,

sorry to post and revive, i know this thread is old, but this seems to be the place for my question. I read through this thread up til here to make sure my questions hadn't already been answered. So here is what I'm curious about :

Are the parent plants of the original Jack Herer seed crop still alive ? Are you continuing to produce seed crops of that same original cross by running clones of the parent plants together ? The same parent plants that were used whenever the first seeds of Jack Herer were ever produced and offered by Sensi. Is that what you're still crossing to generate these Jack Herer seeds ? or is this a very near/related line from backcrossing or inbreeding ?

thanks!
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2016 at 10:24
Hi bengtal,

imo there is every possibility that the jack herer offered today is the same one released back in the day, clones if looked after correctly can last decades with very minimal "drift" or loss of vigor. That being said there will come a day when you will have to revive parent clones with extra breeding this can be done by as you say inbreeding or back-crossing.

The Northern lights#5 clone if still around has almost certainly had some tinkering done under the hood, although many new company's still clam they have it, personally i would take that with a pinch of salt.

Rest of the thread,

I used to be concerned about lineage/canna-history but we have to remember that we are talking about a small group of people Ben, Nevil, Scott etc who all have their own angle on the same story, not only do they contradict each other from time to time but they are what they are, aging stoners with hazy recollections. 

These days i try to take each new grow for what it is, an i couldnt care less if its the one from the 80's or if Nevil produced it magically from his arse while on tour with the greatfull dead lol it bares no difference to whether or not i enjoy the end product.

sorry for the rant
Just my 2 pence

Peace
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2016 at 10:13
Continued....

The modern obsession with original source/old-school genetics is an interesting one, with most forums having a "what happened to x strain" or "x strain has changed" thread. I find it funny that the majority of these threads are posted by someone that grew a strain in 80's-90's claiming the strain has been altered in someway, when in all probability it is the grower that has changed, for instance tolerance and age to name but a few.

An don't get me started on euphoric recall! ie: your memory of an event/time is always seen with rose tinted glasses, "Man, X strain used to blow me and my friends away, it doesn't these days?" See first to reasons lol " Man, X strain doesn't look or smell the same as it did" see euphoric recall and the fact that growing a pack or even ten packs of seed does not give you the full scope of said strain.

Thc content of 80's-90's strains is massively different to those of today, with most of the early strains hitting the lofty heights of 8-12% thc, with a few clocking 15% now if the blurb is to be believed 20% is the norm, cough cough bullshit! most im sure will come in the 15% bracket...... anyways

This post is not meant to be inflammatory, it is just my opinion/ thinking on screen, so stay tuned for more pre-coffee o-clock rants..

Take it easy %3cink

Peace
20'Thai View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 20'Thai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 17:05
Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted here, dropped by, saw this post and thought I'd add something to it, if that's alright.

I have heard the argument of yesteryear strains being better in some way shape or form to today's.   I even have old mates whom I bump into now and again that bring up the subject trying to resurrect what I believe to be an ideal more than a fact.

I am nearing the age of sixty, and was growing and smoking since my late teens, and I mean a lot since my late teens.  In those days here in Oz, we regularly got magnificent Thai Sticks and what they termed "Indian Hemp Sticks".  Both of which were so outrageously potent that words fail to explain how they could be so.

Apart from that, we always had our local Native Sativas which had ALL been brought into the country from other lands and over time acclimatized to our conditions.  When I say "local sativas" I refer to what is commonly known today as strains like Mullumbinby Madness, Lemon Sativa... and effectively, Haze of one form or another, including and not limited to Shanti's NevHaze.  We were growing sativa here many years before Shanti left to go overseas that were so similar to his current NevHaze that it's not funny; and I mean near identical.  As for all these types of local sativa,  I would wager ANYONE that if you grew them here or elsewhere TODAY, and compared them to a 30 year old grow, you'd find they have EXACTLY the SAME level of potency that they ever did.  So it safe to say that they ALWAYS will, if kept relatively clean and uncrossed.

As for the indicas and newage hybrids, from what I have seen over the decades, they are still as wonderfully potent and good tasting as I ever recall them being.  If anything, as far as the hybrids go, I would say that in recent years there has been some truly outstanding NEW genepools that have come out that could even rival those of yesteryear.

One thing that I firmly believe has attributed to this amazing level of resin output in some of these new crosses is NOT the genes, it's the excellent NIGHTING period that can be provided with any indoor grow.  It's not the Sun which makes massive dense resin dripping colas, it's the NIGHT.  Total and complete darkness every night for at least 14 hours is a main contributor to incredible resin production.  That CANNOT be replicated anywhere in the great outdoors.  Stars on clear nights, the moon, nearby street and neighbor's house lights... they all add up to (a) LESS dense buds that have (b) less visible and actual resin as well as (c) LEAFIER colas.  There's just no getting around that because these plants use NIGHT/DARKNESS as the main determinant for developing excellent flowers/buds.   So let's not forget that 30 plus years ago, the only place you'd see a light bulb was in the street or home... nobody grew indoors.

Some of the Kush or Diesel crosses that have been made using primo samples of "haze and/or indica" are incredible resin factories IMO.  We never saw plants 30-40 years ago that would be dripping with the amounts of resin that they do today, that is a FACT. 

Another thing that comes to mind apart from the obvious "tolerant level" increase with age and ongoing consumption, and it is a REAL factor at that, is the amount of regular TOP shelf dope that is available;e today compared to the distant past.  Decades ago, for those that could not grow their own or didn't know how, "GOOD stuff" would come about once every blue moon.  When you're effectively smoking swag most of the year and something good happens along, it can't fail but make a lasting impression on you.  Try telling those how claim the older stuff was better, to go TRULY dry, without a smoke for months, and then try some good stuff of today.  Then watch how they may end raving about how this stuff reminds them so much of the good stuff they use to get decades ago... etc etc.

If you smoked something I grew, I could care less what you had in years gone by, you'd like it... and there are so many others who could do the same for you.

The reason I tool the time to write this up is simply for the younger ones, to them I say, don't worry, so long as mankind lives there will always be immaculate buds about no matter what others say.

God bless the hand that sows the seed.

http://forum.sensiseeds.com/fdata/gallery/20thai/4728_f13_closeup_of_hazey_pheno_afganthai_phe.jpg

I look at the world as all do, but I see something different

Always do RIGHT; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2016 at 19:22
Welcome back 20' thai%3chumbs%20Up

Beautiful bud pic  
Peace
20'Thai View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 20'Thai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 10:56
Thanks sicklehand, had some time to myself the last couple of weeks, it's nice for a change.

But that will change soon... as they say, "No rest for the wicked." %3coving%20it

Have a good one.

http://forum.sensiseeds.com/images/users/a_20thai/a_f13_at_16weeks_2-3_weeks_to_go_i14460.html
I look at the world as all do, but I see something different

Always do RIGHT; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 09:44
Originally posted by 20'Thai

"No rest for the wicked." %3c3coving%3c20it

I hear that %3co%20high
Peace
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 18:34
The only people who know if the original cuts are still alive and used to make the seeds, ain't telling & are very few.

I'd be surprised if all the old skool cuts were gone. Ukcheese has been going for decades. There are alot of fakes said to be ukcheese. But I've had the pleasure of growing the exodus cut. It doesn't look as skunky to me as the ones said to be the real deal. Darker. Fatter fingered leafs.

But it would be pretty dam good if every cut had been kept. In reality though. I think some must of been lost for son reason. Mites. One messed up clone room. I would imagine sensi have cuts tht are probably amazing but not offered in seeds because unlike GH, sensi don't just chuck out seeds to profiteer off names and rubbish. They can't do breeding anymore as far as I know as Ben dronkers is involved in political type things.

But I would still buy sensi or Mr Nice above anyone else. Chimera and dna genetics are all right. And I got love got sweetseeds too. Do some awesome sensi crosses
Green-Thumb Growing
Quarzen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Quarzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 02:21
I once breeded a Strain called TWIN SEEDZ © ®

it was a sample of a sensi strain crossed with another sensi and it really was a twin.
at the end it shows that in each twin seed was one male and one female ...
I tried it : i crossed them and thatz the famous Sensi TWIN SEED ... isnt that something.
I got my OWN seedbank in between itz WATSON SEEDZ ™ and its spelled with a Z!

My other brand is a MEXICAN DREAM © ® aka AMERICAN SATIVA © ® !
And belive me itz stable !

Kool ... so long guys and lad's !

And have a good Smoke !
%3c3ceed%3c20leaf

Quarzen
Sensi Seeds: the Indoor/Greenhouse Collection - amazing strains for indoor or outdoor growing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567