Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

White diesel indoors - Advice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stoneGrower View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneGrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 10:33
Flushing and Harvesting:

Hey guys, if anyone has grown this strain before, could you please let me know when I should flush the plant? In 2 days it will have completed 4 weeks of flowering. Sensi says the flowering period is 50-65 days, which means anytime between 7-9 weeks.

Also regarding flushing...how exactly does it work? I've read online that the plant needs to be given 2-3x the size of the pot. So if I have a 5 gallon pot, does that mean I give it 15 gallons of water in one go two weeks before harvest? Or do I give that much in total over the course of the last 2 weeks i.e. spread over 14 days?

Thanks.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneGrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 15:46
Hey, another quick question guys. I've been watering with 2-3 liters the past 3 or4 waterings. Today, shortly after watering the plant I noticed that the tips of a couple of leaves started browning, while remaining soft. It almost looks like mold, but the tips are culring upwards which makes me think it would be water related. I did stick my finger n the soil and it was a little damp before i watered it. i decided to go ahead and water anyway since the last time was 3 days ago. i guess vermicompost has pretty high water retention so maybe i should water a little less frequently.

does this sound like it could be due to wet soil? if so, is it nothing to worry about since we're only talking about 2-3 leaves here? and should i just not water the plant for about 4 days to see if it doesn't spread?

thanks again.
Auto-Question-Bot View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Auto-Question-Bot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 23:47
well my flush will be a week, 3 days of canna flush as instructed on bottle and the other 4 days i will be using 10 litres per pot every day my pots are 15 litres i think thats enough
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneGrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 10:19
cool. and should i expect all the leaves to start dying once i begin flushing? i think i'm going to start my flush 10 days prior to harvest, and since the root ball will be continuously drenched during the flushing period, won't it cause all the leaves to brown, wilt and die?
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneGrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 14:56
I'm seeing this or something similar on about 5 leaves. This seems to have started ever since I increased the amount of water I give the plants to 3 liters per watering.  Would really appreciate if someone could let me know the severity of this and whether I should just decrease the watering amount and frequency to prevent it from spreading all over the plant. I see this on the edge of one of the top fan leaves and on about 3 branch leaves that are connected to bud sites. Could this have done any permanent damage?

Auto-Question-Bot View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Auto-Question-Bot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 00:45
fan leaves dont worry about em i dont and its my first grow so as long as buds and bud leaves look good i wouldnt worry i dont think its overwatering tho
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 01:49
The leaf damage in the picture has probably been caused by a phosphorous deficiency. This does not automatically mean that you should add more nutrients. Phosphorous deficiencies are usually caused by either a) low soil pH, b) low soil temperature, c) poor soil drainage or d) over-feeding.

Re watering: You should water your plants until some of the water emerges from the holes in the bottoms of the pots. When this is done, lift the pots to check the weight and then don't water the plants again until the pot feels significantly lighter.

Flushing is designed to rid the soil of nutrient build-ups and is done all in one go. You only need to flush soil if your plants have been overfed. 10-15 gallons of water for a 5 gallon pot should be enough. Allow the water to run freely from the holes in the bottom of the pot so it can wash the nutrients from the soil. You only need to do this once, then return to a normal watering schedule. Do not continually drench the soil with water for several consecutive days.

Most soil growers will stop feeding their plants during the final week before harvest, but this is not flushing. Adding plain water instead of nutrient solution during the final week should help improve the taste of the buds, nothing more.

By the way, burned leaf-tips are usually a sign of over-feeding, but they can also be caused by high temperatures. If the tips of the lower leafs are burned and curling upwards, then the plants have probably been given too much feed. If the problem is only affecting the top leaves, then it is probably caused by heat from the grow-light.
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneGrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 07:47
Thanks man. I don't think the issue is a, b or c. Ever since I've started watering the plant w/ 3 liters of water per watering I've see quite a bit of run off from the bottom. Also the grow room temp is maybe slightly less than 75-76 F. pH is also ok. So I'm guessing this might be overfeeding. I did add maxicrop seaweed and molasses some time back, but in very small concentrations. So I'm pretty confused. Can my worm compost be that rich in nutes??

What do you suggest I do? Should I just take it easy and continue to water with plain water every 3-4 days, or should I wait till the soil is dry and then flush the pot with 10-15 liters of plain water? It's only that bad on 3-4 leaves, but I can see a similar greening on the tips of some other leaves. It's happening on bud branch leaves now, not just the fan leaves connected to the main stem. In any case the soil won't be dry enough to water for another 3 days.
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:14
Okay, are you saying that you haven't added any nutrients at all except the Maxicrop stuff a while back? If so, your problem could be under-feeding. Cannabis will use up the nutrients in the soil very quickly. If you are already four weeks into flowering, then you should be adding nutrients to the feed water.

Also, did you mix the compost with anything to improve the drainage? You should always add something like perlite or vermiculite to soil to help it drain better. If you didn't do this, then the soil could be water-logged and this could also be causing the problem.

Cannabis hates water-logged soil, so unless you improved the drainage, I'd be very, very wary about flushing. You should only flush the soil if you are absolutely certain that you have over-fed your plants with added nutrients.
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote stoneGrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:51
Well my growing medium is 60% worm compost, and 40% mixture of perlite, vermiculite and peat moss. So the medium is quite nutrient rich and drainage doesn't seem to be a problem. Compost does have high water retention in general, but when I water with 2 liters or more I see the run off coming out at the bottom of the pot.

I only added a layer of compost a week after transplanting (several weeks back), and since then I haven;t given any feed, except for low concentration maxicrop mixed with a low concentration of molasses. Some of the leaves had burnt tips, which made me think that the compost was just a little rich in nitrogen (also lower fan leaves browning and dying from the tip inwards). The increase in brown tips has happened since I increased the watering to 2-3 liters per watering (around 2 weeks back) and started adding maxi crop, which I've done twice. The last 2 waterings have been with plain water. I noticed the symptoms in the picture I posted about 2 days back and it's a little different to the browning I saw earlier (in the picture the leaf has brown patches all over and not just at the tips and edges as seen earlier). I'm seeing this on about 6-7 leaves now, and it's not restricted to fan leaves. So basically this is really confusing. I'm not sure whether these are over watering symptoms due to the water retention of the compost, or if it's overfeeding or underfeeding. Any suggestions? All I know is that what I'm seeing now is a little different to what I've been seeing on the lower and middle fan leaves.
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>