Cannabis Forum > Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum > CannaMyths
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

3. Marijuana is a 'Gateway Drug'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
seeroseero View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower
J5R

Quote seeroseero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3. Marijuana is a 'Gateway Drug'
    Posted: 15 July 2004 at 11:33
This is one of the more persistent myths. A real world example of what happens when marijuana is readily available can be found in Holland. The Dutch partially legalized marijuana in the 1970s. Since then, hard drug use-heroin and cocaine-have DECLINED substantially. If marijuana really were a gateway drug, one would have expected use of hard drugs to have gone up, not down. This apparent "negative gateway" effect has also been observed in the United States. Studies done in the early 1970s showed a negative correlation between use of marijuana and use of alcohol. A 1993 Rand Corporation study that compared drug use in states that had decriminalized marijuana versus those that had not, found that where marijuana was more available-the states that had decriminalized-hard drug abuse as measured by emergency room episodes decreased. In short, what science and actual experience tell us is that marijuana tends to substitute for the much more dangerous hard drugs like alcohol, cocaine, and heroin.

Edited by administrator
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 18:04

The 'gateway drug' myth doesn't even stand up to a few minutes of rational thought.

If you believe it, it would have to be based on some kind of magical connection between those drugs which have arbitrarily been designated as 'bad' (or, rather, illegal). It basically suggests that two utterly different substances, such as cannabis and heroin, or cannabis and cocaine, somehow relate to each other, or are treated in the same way by the body of the user.

Obviously, that's not true. If there's anecdotal evidence to support the 'gateway' myth, it's not a result of cannabis being a dangerous drug, it's the direct result of irrational cannabis laws, which make it impossible for most people to buy cannabis from a reputable, regulated source. The result is that most cannabis ends up being sold by, guess who? Drug dealers! People who sell all sorts of dangerous drugs, mostly because of the high profit related to selling illegal items.

So, the only reason cannabis has ANYTHING in common with hard drugs is that prohibition places it in the same category!  IMHO it would be better to describe cannabis prohibition as a 'gateway law' that places people at risk of all sorts of danger and addiction by forcing them to associate with organised crime, just to obtain a plant that they could easily grow in their garden.

If you think about the effects, alcohol has a LOT more in common with heroin than cannabis does. Booze and smack are both powerful, addictive sedatives, both are used to numb pain (physical, emotional, mental). Both are known for quickly making dependencies in people who use them to escape such problems. With that kind of similarity, alcohol makes a much better gateway drug to heroin, for users who are looking for a harder substance. It's just that you can be an alcoholic for decades without ever meeting a drug dealer. You can get your drug at the supermarket.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2004 at 18:08

Another important point is that if you teach kids that cannabis is a dangerous drug, it probably won't stop them from trying it, but when they realise that you were exaggerating, or flat out lying about it, why would they believe what you told them about crack and heroin, even if it's true?

Gateway Law! 

Delta9_Dude View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Delta9_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2004 at 16:42

TRUE DAT! GO GANJA...

This applies to a lot more situations I think. But it's a nice example

Havin' a bud, watching the game..
seeroseero View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower
J5R

Quote seeroseero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 21:33

Damm weed junkies,

THE DEVILS HARVEST!! I SAY!

THE DEVILS HARVEST!

goodger View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote goodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 15:36

i dont thing cannabis is a gate way drug i am young man and have smoked cannabis reguarly befor and find it rather enjoyable i do not find that cannabis has been a gate way drug as i have not been intrested in trying any other drugs some people may think it is a gate way drug but then alot of people do not under strand the drug for resons like they may not of tried it befor

free the weed man !!!!!!1

Edited by nl5haze
persona View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote persona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 09:03
I have smoked weed for a time.
I don't believe it is the dreaded gateway drug it is claimed to be. However, I have observed in myself (as well as in others) that since smoking pot we smoke more cigarettes, and find it harder to quit.
I assume it could be due to sensorial enhancement, therefore enjoying it more.

Whatever the reason for that is, I advice you save your lungs for good smoke, not cigarettes.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 17:15

That's the bit I'd agree with. I started on weed, and I am now addicted to tobacco -a hard drug if ever there was one (25 million people died from tobacco smoking in the 1990's, equivalent to all the wars since WW2)

This isn't the fault of cannabis, obviously.

It's my fault that I allowed myself to develop an addiction to the evil brown weed, or that I wasn't discerning enough as a young smoker to 'just say no' to joints spiked with tobacco.

dankbud View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote dankbud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2005 at 21:57

i believe that if you got enough pot youll never do another drug...(im addicted to this nasty addicting drug-tobacco also)when my friend harvested all his plants last year we smoked soo much for like a month straight that i forgot about smoking cigarettes...but i started up again when all the weed was gone, but like every time i dont have cigarettes...i just smoke weed and it feels like i dont even need a tobacco stick no more...after the high is gone though, i m alwayz craving one

god damn those "packages of death"...its sad to know that im paying $5 a day to kill myself

BLunTeD4LifE View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote BLunTeD4LifE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 02:14
that myth can actually be true...

i grew up in a small town in Scotland... at age 10 my uncle gave me my first blast on a joint... by 13 i was smokin pot on a regular basis...

after a year or more smokin herb, i started gettin curious about other drugs which were also readily available ie: speed, ecstacy, valium, etc etc...

and it wasnt just me that went thru this... pretty much all my friends i grew up with went thru a similar experience...

i blame this on there being absolutely nothing for us to do as kids...

some of my old friends continued to climb up the ladder and start taking heroin and crack, and they are completely f**ked up now...

luckily i realised what i was doing was stupid and got away from that scene..

now i am quite happy just smoking my herb n playing my guitar...

so in some cases the myth of cannabis being a gateway drug can actually be true...

Peace
Roll that sh*t... Light that sh*t... Smoke that sh*t!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>