Cannabis Forum > Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum > CannaMyths
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

3. Marijuana is a 'Gateway Drug'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
track View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote track Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 20:21
the gov. is saying any thing to keep control over change of the peoples evetual realization that cannabis is the worlds medicine
jimmygrewsome View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote jimmygrewsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 14:21
    Hi y'all! I love hearing this little "theory" about how " my perfect A grade student son was so amazing and brilliant and destined to become the next president of the world blah blah blah, until, on that dreaded day when he had his first TOKE on a cannabis spliff joint!" He is now an alcoholic junkie crackhead who beats his pregnant prostitute girlfreind daily, in and out of jail and or rehab on a regular basis all because of that evil DRUG "maryjewana"! You know the story, we see it every other day in CANNABIS RUINED OUR LIVES headlines in the various anti recreational drug newspapers! I always smile to myself when i think that, actually, NO, the first drug their child ever took at the top of this slippery slope was in the majority of cases the legal Nicotine contained in cigarettes and or alcohol! How easily dismissed these scientifically proven killers are when the government feels a little pot bashing is in order to divert the publics attention away from real issues affecting the health and well being of todays society!!!
PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL ABUSE IN THE COUNTRY? HEY!! MAKE THE LICSENCING HOURS LONGER!!?!!Please excuse the above rant but sometimes one needs to vent a little and if you cant in this forum, then where?
All tokin aside, keep jokin!!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:35
I feel your need to vent.

I reckon the fist drug we're usually exposed to is good ol' refined sugar - the 'crack' version of natural sugar.

It gives a big dopamine reward along with the taste, because our new-born systems are programmed to respond positively to sweet flavours. It's a survival mechanism based on the fact that sweet things are likely to be energy rich, non-toxic foods.

This survival mechanism starts getting screwed up the first time baby is given junk-food.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
skunkfunk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote skunkfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 15:33
Alcohol is the real gateway drug. From experience when I was younger, I was always frightened of taking other substance's like speed, coke and then E's. But whenever I got drunk I would loose my inhibitions and rationality and feel easy with taking them. Ended up becoming a complete speed/coke freak for about 10 sad years. Cannabis actually saved me and i am now clear of all that muck apart from cannabis, oh and roll ups. Will noot touch alcohol now as that became an addiction too.
Why did God give these Humans freewill...Now their all confused.
blackmore View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2009 at 15:20
I think the myth is true, if i look at all my friends.
But I am evidence to the contrary.  Ive been smoking for over a decade.
Never touched any hard drugs, or alcohol, even though its all around me.
My friends are all into their alcohol/drugs. Some do it recreationally, some are hardcore.
They all started off with pot and eventually got into class A drugs.
I just never felt the need to get into other drugs.
Weed has all the qualities in a high that i want,
hence ive always refused other intoxicants.
which i think is good, in the long run. hard drugs f**k up people.

It takes a certain type of mentality for a person to be susceptible to the "gateway" theory.
I think, its usually people who have the "abuse drugs" sort of personality. The just want to get as f**ked as possible, so they can escape reality. For them pot was the first step.
there are many other factors involved too, ofcourse.

The ones that "use" drugs are the ones who would control themselves, and would endup disproving the theory.

breizh ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote breizh ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2009 at 09:37
yep my father always said to me: there is exces only in exces. so can you medit? the solution is in moderation.... thanks and happy in your life
userbillbill View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote userbillbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 03:44
Hi all, getting my green fingers on so what better place to come, anyways copied this from another forum, respect to proff nutt and everyone1 else to noble or smart or whatever to give in to greed n pride and dumbnessness lol

GATEWAY DRUGS ARE A LOGICAL FALLACY

Now, here’s why: suppose you didn’t like fox hunting, a peculiar British sport where country-dwellers dress in red and gallop across fields on horseback with a pack of dogs after a fox. It’s been banned in this country, but many similar activities are still legal such as chasing a pre-laid trail of fox musk, or chasing a toy doped in fox musk and dragged by another horse. All very well and good, economic substitution at work, however a small amount of illegal hunting continues.

It comes to your attention that everyone who participates in illegal fox hunting started off by learning to ride horses, so you ban horse riding — it’s clearly a gateway to illegal fox hunting.

“But that’s stupid!” you cry, “And nothing to do with drugs!”

But wait: Here are the facts — nearly everyone who currently does heroin started off with a “soft” drug such as ecstasy or cannabis.

You can argue about this two ways — that smoking dope makes you more likely to shoot up smack, or that the kind of people who shoot up smack are the kind of people who would start off smoking dope.

Both result in the same correlative evidence, but one is a causal relationship, and the other isn’t. How would you tell the difference?

Back to fox hunting. There are large numbers of people who participate in riding-related activities that aren’t fox hunting. If riding did really “cause” fox-hunting, then we would expect a far greater number of people who do riding also doing fox-hunting.

Now consider drugs; consider drugs in Portugal, where both cannabis and heroin have similarly declassified legal statuses. In 2006, heroin use occurrence amongst 16-18 year olds was 1.8% and cannabis occurrence was 15.1%, using Bayes law, even assuming that every heroin user also used cannabis, and in the knowledge that heroin and cannabis use does not equate to usage (i.e. occasional vs. habitual), the probability that any given cannabis-user also uses heroin is 0.12. Interestingly, when drugs were decriminalised in 2001, heroin usage dropped, and cannabis usage rose, strongly implying a fact that seems obvious when applied to horse riding:

If horse riding were illegal, then less people would ride horses, but those who did ride, as they were already breaking the law, would be more inclined to participate in fox hunting.

The evidence from statistics in favour of the “gateway drug” concept is weak indeed, but argument from anecdote is weaker still. I saw a program the other week where a panel discussed the potential legalisation of drugs, and despite having some excellent rationalists on both sides (Tim Carpenter of LPUK in favour), the debate devolved into an argument between a medical-marijuana user and a former drug addict.

Come on gentlemen.

Grow up.

Repost of an essay I dug up from May last year.
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 11:15
Smoking cannabis brought me into contact with a very nasty drug... tobacco. 
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
DriveBy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote DriveBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 13:12
Me too
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 14:08
Me three.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>