Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Why so slow growth at winters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DriveBy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote DriveBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why so slow growth at winters
    Posted: 08 March 2011 at 12:23
I dont remeber if I asked this before but why growin is so slow at this time winter or better said december-february? This is happened to all I know here, grow is slow, flowerin is slow and yield of finished plant is soooo small. Is it the snow on the ground and ice cause when we had ''black winters' no snow this problem never occured. Any ideas? Thanks.
Leafless View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Leafless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 12:37
Outside conditions might slow down growth because they lead to low humidity and night temps inside but I havn't noticed a diffrence myself.
Can't see a connection to the snow...
DriveBy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote DriveBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 13:09
What about co2, earth and fields releases huge amounts of co2 but snow and ice on top of it could have some effect I dont know this is speculatin. Cause humidity and night temps are ok so this bothers me pretty much. Next time at this time Ill take my setup off the closet and wait for spring
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 14:35
If the day-to-day temperature in the grow room is colder (ie below about 12C), then this could cause plants to grow more slowly. Normally, the grow lamps would stop a winter grow-room from getting too cold, but if CFs are being used, they will not heat up the atmosphere much.

Also, if HID lights are being used but the grow room takes in fresh air from outside, this could lower the temperature at night and possibly even daytime, depending on how cold the outside temps are.

Have you noticed that your grow-room temps are low, Driveby?

There's no difference in the amount of CO2 in the air in winter vs summer.

Apart from temperatures, I can't think of any other reason that an indoor crop, grown with lights, would be slower in the winter. In fact, in Holland, the reverse is true. It's harder to grow in summer because the fresh air drawn into the grow-room is too warm to lower the temperature, and plants can grow slowly or get stressed becuse of excessively high temps.

Ideally, a grow-room should offer a constant and controlled environment all year round. In practice, perfection is hard to achieve, but a good grow room should be pretty much unaffected by outside conditions.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
G.A. View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling
Gone Away

Quote G.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 14:57
isnt it kinda obvious with snow on the ground its not growing season. anything under 70 degree will slow the food processes. ...ok i see you asre inside, i thought with the mention of snow your trying to grow outside. for me winter is the best time as i dont get heat issues from the hot summer
DriveBy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote DriveBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 16:50
Temps when lights off 22c, even when was -30c outside temp in closet didnt drop under 21c. I checked theres no draft under door or anywhere. Lights on temp is 25-27c. I agree its easier to grow at winters cause its not so hot, at summers my temp can be easily 30c so its a problem and Im small farmer at the time so no need to invest expensive props, Ill do fine wit HPS and fan. And yea I figured co2 levels in air must be same at any season, if not aint that would affect our brathin hehee dont know. But I noticed this problem last year at same time and now again. After about month from now grow will be OK Ill bet..
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 16:57
GA, I would have thought that, as a Canadian, you would figure that outdoor growing in the winter is not exactly .... practical? Possible? Likely?
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
G.A. View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling
Gone Away

Quote G.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 02:30
people have a miss concdeption of our weather...some still think we live in igloos. we barely get any clod or snow here in vancouver...thats more to our east that its cold. we barely get below zero here...our outdoor is real hurting here from being to wet and humid. end of season comes on fast and is a late start. hard to do a full grow here outside
 Post Reply Post Reply