Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Outdoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

help please holey leaves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doktadelic View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote doktadelic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help please holey leaves
    Posted: 22 June 2011 at 13:05
Hi, I'm growing this year for the first time, outdoors in the south of the uk. The seeds are mixed indica. The plants came on brilliantly but over the last 2 weeks have started looking a bit shabby with little holes in the leaves especially the new leaves. they look great from a distance but close up it's a worry, especially as i reckon there's a while to go before they bud.

Please take a look at the pictures and help if you can! There are some raindrops on the leaves but the holes are obvious. The majority of leaves are now affected. I cant see any bugs on the plants. Also if anyone knows when they are likely to start budding that would be a help too.

Please help!

alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 13:23
Hi man nice plants,i see this on some leaves of my plant too,i put it down to wind damage and/or pests,which pests though is the prob!! I suspect earwigs and vine wievel or caterpillars .
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote doktadelic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 13:28
Thanks alecky! - i am rather proud of them :-) Do you think i should be using an insecticide? Have you had this problem before but een everything turn out alright?
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 13:39
Yeah I've had the odd leaf that looks like yours but it didn't have a negative effect on the plant. If the whole plant were to become affected it would be a different story I think!! Wait to see what others have to say first. At the moment it's not a big worry but keep an eye for it getting worse.

You should be proud, they look great! Any strain names? What breeders seeds?
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote doktadelic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 14:03
used a mixed bag of indica from sensi seed bank - planted 10 seeds and 5 grew fast the other 5 were crap so i ditched them. Started in the greenhouse until they were too big. I think the really sunny spring we had helped - i cant believe how big the phuckers are they're nearly 7 foot tall - i'm hoping the 12 inch tubs they're in are big enough but it seems ok so far - planted in John Innes compost and have used miracle grow once every couple of weeks. I'm hoping these little holes are sunburn - it's not been very sunny recently but we have had the first rain in a while and i her the raindrops can cause burns to the plants. I really hope a couple of them are ladies!! Thanks alecky
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 14:10
These look like holes from a small pest having a snack, rather than the burning occasionally caused by rainfrops sitting on leaves.

Considering the size of the plants, it's not a problem and is unlikely to affect them at all, unless it suddenly starts affecting five or ten times as many leaves. The sort of pests which chew holes this big tend to move on, rather than staying on a plant, multiplying and infesting.

Better to leave them than spray insecticide at this stage. If a significant proportion of leaves get eaten, it might be necessary to spray, but even then, the pests would be big enough to see and they could probably be picked off by hand.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 15:14
i have the same on my plants every year, i put it down to crickets you know the light green feckers with a horned tail one jumps of my plants whenever i go near them hes not big 8mm long but they do get up to 4 inches around here and are the same colour as the new growth take a look i bet you'll see one. and another thing ive noticed is the holes are almost always on the sunny side of the plant reinforcing my theory as grasshoppers and crickets bask whilst feeding. but i could be wrong
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 17:52
I'm going to watch out for the crickets thanks for that sickle.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote doktadelic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 18:36
Thanks very much guys that's putting my mind to rest somewhat. I think it's a pest of some sort but although it looks bad close up overall the plants look healthy so i wont panic just yet. Havent seen any crickets but the holes are definitely on the sun side of the plants. Annoyingly the surrounding flora seems to be fine!

If it progressively worsens over the next couple of weeks i think i'll have my hand forced and have to try an insecticide - any recommendations would be welcome

thanks for all the advice it's really appreciated - lovely to be able to show off my plants too as they're my little secret :-)

that's ome mean-ass avatar ganja
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 18:58
neem oil insecticides are great at defending plants against chewing and sucking insects there are lots of chemical options but i try not to use them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>