Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Lighting
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Mylar Reflector For 600w HPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mylar Reflector For 600w HPS
    Posted: 07 November 2005 at 02:32

Just wondering if there is anything I should know before I try to "upgrade" my dull reflector by lining the inside of the reflector with mylar?

Has Anyone Done this?

Would it be safe, i.e. fire hazard? Hotspots on plants?

Would it increase the efficiency of the light?

Is it worth the hassle, really?

Things are looking up.........grind through it and you'll get there :)
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 14:01

It might be easier to polish your reflector.

Reflectors are usually very soft metal, so polish with a non-abrasive cloth. Consider using a metal polish if you can make sure it's not going to leave residue behind.

Mylar is plastic, which means it will probably be a potential fire hazard if it's kept so close to an HID bulb.

Even if it didn't burn outright, it would probably deteriorate with constant exposure to super-bright light and hot air, and you might get tiny pieces of mylar flaking off and falling onto the bulb.

Also, most reflectors are made to a fairly precise design. It's probably best to try to get the existing shape to reflect as much light as possible, rather than altering it with a covering.

Overall, since mylar adds potential problems, it seems more trouble than it's worth.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
penny View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 18:14
I would NOT use mylar because you will ruin your hood. Mylar has a nylon base to it and will melt very readily if it is exposed to too much direct heat like that of an HID lamp. Those lamps burn in excess of 1800 degrees so you see, they can get very hot. If you MUST do ANYTHING to it, I know this will turn up some noses but wrap it in aluminum foil dull side out. IF YOU MUST!
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 16:27

After much thought i'm going to get myself a new hood. The one I own at the minute was bought off EBay and looked like the postman beat the hell out of it lol.

I really want my grow to have all the potential it can handle. Everything must be running at "optimum effieciency" or as close to as possible. The market here is just waiting to be flooded - Because all the hash is soapbar - And all the green is ditch weed.

Thanks for the info Ganja and Penny - Nice Avatars BTW

Things are looking up.........grind through it and you'll get there :)
 Post Reply Post Reply