Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Lighting
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have I hurt my plants?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
budfest View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote budfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have I hurt my plants?
    Posted: 10 November 2005 at 17:17

Hi, I could do with some advice please.

I have been growing a few plants for about 3 weeks under growlux fluoro tubes (10,000 lumines) and everything was going great. Yesterday i put in 2 compact fluoros of 10,000 lumines each. Because of the size of my closet the compacts were vertical and at the side of the plants, not over the top. This morning my plants have gone a bit mad! 2 are normal and the other 2 have all their leaves and branches shooting really upright, almost vertical.

i have lowered the plants so there are now under the lights and i hope that this will get them back to a normal shape. Any suggestions would be great.

tijuana View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote tijuana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2005 at 09:16
maybe they were too close to the lights? You should separate them about 1.5-2 feet from the lights perhaps?
seeroseero View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower
J5R

Quote seeroseero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 12:12

Or they might have not been close enough from the beginning. So now they are shooting for the light.

Ofcourse when you hit them with more luminents, they will respond in a similar way.

How close do you have the lights at the moment? Like tijuana said, you should separate them about 1.5 - 2 foot from the plants.

Ciao

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 12:14

I don't think a CF bulb or other type of fluoro will be overheating your plants. You should be able to get foliage within 10cm of the tube without buring.

I've seen gardens with the plants right on top of fluoro tubes, and the only visible burning was where a leaf had actually grown against the tube. Even then, the burning was only in the parts of the leaf that were in constant contact with the warm glass.

Your plants may just have reacted strangely to a new light source. As light-fed organisms, have evolved to treat their main source of light as 'up'. So, if their light suddenly comes from a new direction, they may feel the need to readjust their growth to accomodate that new direction.

The same happens when outdoor plants fall over or are bent over by the grower. Foliage realigns itself towards the light-source.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
budfest View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote budfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2005 at 12:18

I have moved the plants 2 feet below the lights and they are back to normal and doing well.

Thanks for your advice.

20'Thai View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 20'Thai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 09:52

The only time I use fluros is for setting-roots on new clones.  When I do, I place them as CLOSE to the CoolWhite fluros as I can.  I've had them touching the fluros for days without them burning.  The only fluro's that have ever burnt my juviniles were the 'grow'fluros that emit the pink-light.  The CoolWhites are never a problem and I'd never place the top of my small clones any FURTHER away from the tubes than 2inches.  2 inches and they grow vigorously...but make sure you have a little ventilation over the grow area.  Just a bit, not much, just enough to keep the air moving and fresh.

I look at the world as all do, but I see something different

Always do RIGHT; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Piefke74 View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Piefke74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 16:11

Hellow dear 20'Thai,you are a good grower with a lot of experiance!You coult be a medical-weed-grower,yours and ours society need a lot of medical weed for the need of good quolity medical weed.I do already a lot in the Dutch speaking aria in Holland and Belguim,when you need back-up from us,send please a PM,thx,Piefke director from CHC world-wide.

G13 is my direction for weed!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2005 at 19:10

Just fired up a 125w CF bulb for the first time the other day.

I was surprised to find that the glass gets HOT. Not quite hot enough to burn skin, but hotter than I could comfortably touch for more than a few seconds.

The heat does not radiate in the same way as from an HID light - the air is not very warm at a distance of 10cm from the tube - but the glass itself is much too hot for plants to touch.

The bulb I'm using has both 'warm' (pinkish) and 'cool' (blue/white) tubes, both of which get very hot. The blue/white may be a little cooler than the pink, but not by much.

This was a real surprise to me, as I was expecting the CF to be only a little hotter than a regular 120cm/36w fluoro tube (which is running in the same area, for instant comparison).

I have had plants' leaves growing against the 120cm tubes for weeks, with only slight burning where leaves had grown against the tubes for their whole life (presumably, they burned because new leaves are much more sensitive and fragile when they first sprout from the plant).

With this new CF, I am sure that any part of a plant that actually touched the glass would burn in minutes, and be dead in an hour or two.

Perhaps I have come into possession of a cheap, crappy CF bulb. Or maybe they're not quite as cool and super-efficient as they're made out to be...

More investigation is necessary. I'll try to get a temperature reading from the glass.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply