Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Outdoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

too big!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doktadelic View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote doktadelic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: too big!
    Posted: 22 July 2011 at 21:40
My plants that are outside in pots are growing way too big for the pots and probably wont start budding for a few weeks yet - i'm feeding them with tomarite and miracle grow but i'm worried that they'll be too big to get decent buds given that they're already 8 foot or more tall and are pot bound now in 12 inch pots.

Any advice on what i should do or how much and what i should feed them with?

sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 09:54
hey doc if the size of the plant is not a problem then i'd stick it in a 50lt and let it get big and to be honest it gonna want a bigger pot anyway. there are some tricks to growing plant big like removing inner leaves and growth points that dont get much light this will give good air flow in and around the plant and also concentrate the plants energy to the top of the branches. if hight is a problem then its not to late to do a spot of pruning. but id definitely put it in a bigger pot hop this helps
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 15:54
Just put them in bigger pots... much bigger pots filled with a decent fertilised potting mix.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote doktadelic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 19:55
I've bitten the bullet and repotted them - they were quite pot bound but I've been brutal

Look much better now :-) thanks guys
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 01:25
Brutal? Can you explain what you mean by that?
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 11:36
I was wondering that...

I've always thought "root bound" was a slightly over-dramatic term. It suggests that the thickness of roots in a small pot is somehow constricting or damaging the plant, which is not the case. The only thing constricting a root bound plant is the small pot.

Roots don't need to be cut, removed or in any way interfered with. Root bound plants just need to be put gently into a bigger pot and their root system will take care of itself.

Nice plants, BTW! They look like they shouldn't gain too much more height, and if they're now in big pots they should be capable of a great harvest.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
billy bong View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote billy bong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 19:32
when re-potting a plant how important is it not to disrupt the roots.. will it slow down growth for a time if your to hard on the root area
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote doktadelic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 16:02
Thanks for the help guys.

By pot bound (excuse the pun!) I mean that the roots are so entrenched in winding around the pot that they tend to grow inwards and not outwards into the new compost/soil.

Actually they weren't a bad as i was expecting but i did follow the advice of a friend who (although she has no experience of growing hemp) is a gardener who works for the royal horticultural society - and she advised me to pull out the roots from the pot shape and not to worry about being a bit rough and breaking a some.

I have done this as i re-potted and i think she's probably right - the plants look great - only 3 days since they were re-potted and they look much healthy and green and pert and the pots look much better size for them (50cm tubs) and i no longer need ties to stop them blowing over in the wind

thanks for the advice - I sort of knew they needed repotting but was afraid to do it as i knew it would be an upset. Really pleased it's done now.

I'm praying that they're ladies!!!!!
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote doktadelic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 16:07
I will say i was a bit disappointed with the mixed indica seeds i got from the seedbank. Clearly the ones i have grown look brilliant (i think that's due to having a hot spring and a big greenhouse to start them off) - but less than 50% of them actually grew.

I'll definitely get feminized seeds next year
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 23:36
What your gardening friend says is true of many ornamental plants with heavy roots. Cannabis doesn't require that sort treatment and prefers gentle treatment at repotting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>